UNC Jazz Press - Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get a UNC Jazz Press Catalog?
- UNC Jazz Press does not provide hard copies of the catalog, as this website is updated weekly. Please browse our site to view our selections.

How do I submit material for review?
-UNC Jazz Press will only review submissions that complete the following NON-NEGOTIABLE guidelines:

  1. Complete Application Form CLICK HERE
  2. Complete parts (8.5 x 11in) pdf format
  3. Complete score (11x17in preferred, but 8.5x11 accepted) pdf format
  4. Sound file or recording of chart(s) MP3s preferred.
  5. Short Description of each chart along with features and styles .doc file preferred.
  6. Complete and current biography on the composer him/herself A .doc file is preferred
  7. High Resolution Head shot .jpg / .jpeg file preferred

*Please note that only submissions that meet all of the guidelines will be subject to review.


Email: kelsey@uncjazzpress.com

What is music publishing?
Music publishing is the agreement or contract between the publisher and the composer/songwriter, in which the composer/songwriter grants the publisher part or all of the music copyrights in exchange for exploitation of their music. Generally, the publisher and the writer would split the royalties generated from the song fifty/fifty, depending on the type of royalties involved. There are four main types of royalties:

  1. Mechanical licenses/royalties – Mechanical royalties are awarded upon the actual “mechanical” reproduction of a piece. This may involve recording the music to be distributed through CD or cassette, and is based upon the number of recordings sold.
  2. Performance rights/royalties – Performance royalties are paid to the songwriter whenever their song is used for film, television, radio, clubs, background music, or other business performance agreements. Performance royalties can be collected after the songwriter/publisher registers with a performing rights organization or PRO. PROs calculate the projected use of a song, and award the royalties to the publisher/writer accordingly.
  3. Synchronization Rights/Royalties – Synchronization royalties apply when a song is needed for a movie, film, or other media advertisement. It is literally applied when the music needs to be “synchronized” with the type of media being used.

What is the difference between a publishing administrator and a traditional publisher?
A publisher in the traditional sense “participates” in the copyright by taking ownership or co-publishing the song with the writer. With that ownership comes the right to exploit the work as they see fit, and to collect all royalties generated by the copyright. In turn the publishing company agrees to pay 50% of all revenues collected to the writer. A publishing administrator does not participate in the copyright per se. Instead, the administrator performs the duties of publisher on behalf of the copyright owner. The administrator collects performance mechanical, synchronization, print and foreign release income for a commission. All rights, including creative exploitation, remain with the copyright holder.

Do I need a publishing administrator if I’m affiliated with BMI or ASCAP?
Yes, a publishing administrator is still necessary to represent your publishing, but a performing rights society is also necessary to collect the performance royalties. The three national performing rights societies are: ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC.

Does UNC Jazz Press issue compulsory licenses and what are the current fees?
Yes, UNC Jazz Press issues compulsory licenses and collects fees for the composers/arrangers. The current mechanical royalty rate is based on the statutory rate set by congress. As of January 1, 2006, that rate is $0.091 per song (5 minutes or under) and $0.0175 for each additional minute over 5. Samples are based on the same rate, but are paid at a percentage equal to the percentage of the song that the sample constitutes.

If I move and forget to update UNC Jazz Press with my new address, what happens to my account?
UNC Jazz Press pays commission statements to composers/arrangers once annually. If the commission statement is returned to UNC Jazz Press, the account will continue to accrue royalties, but the statements cannot be sent out until the updated information is received. To change the mailing address on your account, either login to this website using the 'My Account' link at the top right of the page and update your address and contact information, or send an email to info@uncjazzpress.com.

How do I get music that is out-of-print?
UNC Jazz Press does not currently offer out-of-print music for purchase.

How do I get a perusal score and/or reading session parts?
To get a perusal score or reading session part, please call the UNC Jazz Press office at 970-351-2577. Please note that shipping charges will apply.

I’m a composer. Does UNC Jazz Press accept submissions of manuscripts?
Yes. UNC Jazz Press will accept unsolicited manuscripts that abide by the guidelines listed above. However, due to large sales volume we will not review publication submissions during the months of August, September, January, and February. Submission decisions are generally reached within 60 days.

How do I obtain permission to….
Quote Music in a Book
Quote Music in a Journal or Magazine
Quote Music in a Dissertation
Permission to Create an Arrangement

For answers to these questions, please visit the Library of Congress website at www.loc.gov.

What is your return policy?
Due to international copyright law and agreements with composers/arrangers, all sales are final.

What if I forget my username/password?
Please use the 'lost password' link on the 'My Account' page of this site. This will email your password to the email address that we have on file for you. If you no longer have access to this email account, or if you are unsuccessful using this method, you may contact the UNC Jazz Press office at 970-351-2577 to obtain your password. We can also manually reset your email address. Please be prepared to validate your information including name, address, phone number, etc.